Essex Bus News magazine includes a selection of historical and current articles. Progressively over time we intend to build an archive of these articles, for future research. Initially only a small selection is available, listed by operator/topic. All articles listed here are copyright Essex Bus Enthusiasts Group and may not be reproduced without our prior consent.
Arriva Southend/Southend Transport
· The closure of Arriva Southend’s London Road garage in January 2000
· Southend Transport special Christmas/New Year services, 1971 - 1999
City Coach Company
· The 251 story 1927 – 2000 – Chris Stewart presents a brief history of this historic route
· The City Influence – Chris Stewart’s review of the remains of the erstwhile City Coach Company
· Blue Brick Bridge – the story of why City were not allowed to operate double deckers under this bridge in Shotgate, on the direct Southend to London route
· Transfer of Grays Area Services to London Transport, 1933 - 1951 (book), Alan Osborne
· 50 years of EN’s Lodekkas – Chris Stewart’s history of EN’s LDs and FLFs (not forgetting an LDL and 2 FSs!). This is an article from our magazine, published in March 2004, not the complete book published subsequently
· 2826 – a unique FLF – Peter Oughton remembers the glass-fibre panelled FLF
· Eastern National’s VR’s – Chris Stewart chronicles the history of the Bristol VR in the EN & Thamesway fleets
· Eastern National & Thamesway Fleet Record, Volume 2 – 1990 to 1996 - 80 pages, A4 - download as a pdf (external link)
· Chelmsford to Brentwood – 80 years of service – Chris Stewart reviews operations on this important corridor
· Village Links old & new – Chris Stewart looks at the Essex CC Village Link services in the Brentwood area
Southend area services
· Public Transport Services in the Southend-on-Sea District, 1900 - 1955 - an ebook by Richard Hayden
· Publicity review – 2001
· Amos of Belchamp St Paul – the end of an era by Alan Osborne
· Amos of Belchamp St Paul – earlier memories from Alan Watkins
· Coastal Red - the story of this late 1980s operation in north east Essex - pdf download of our Fact File booklet
· Notes on Thames Weald and Dr Heffernan – by David Harman
The links below are currently defunct, pending a relaunch of the Working On The Buses website.
Meanwhile, if you are interested in any, please e-mail us and
we can send you pdf copies.
· The Revd. Terry Challis wrote a series of articles about his memories of buses in south Essex in the early 1950s and then his experiences working for EN in schedules and later as a conductor and driver - to see the complete series, click here.
· Mick Parsons has written about his days as a conductor and driver at Wood Green - click here to access them.
· Not generally published in Essex Bus News, there are more staff recollections at:
Ø Ian Banks - SCT in the 1960s
Ø John Bashford - ST X1 service
Ø Richard Delahoy - ST in the 1980s
Ø Ted Miles - EN in the 1960s
Ø Gareth Morgan - SCT conductor, 1980s
Ø James Sadd - ST X1 service
Ø Alan Watkins - City Coach Co & many others
ESSEX BUS ARCHIVE
In a major development, we are currently digitising all of the Group’s magazines/news-sheets back to issue 1 (1964), Group publications and a variety of other documents, as pdf files. Copies are already available to members on request (see the October 2015 EBN for details) and in due course we will be launching a new, separate website to make the whole collection freely available.
Watch out for further details!!
Site designed and hosted by Signal
Training and Consultancy Services for EBEG.
© Essex Bus Enthusiasts Group, 2021.